Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Have You Noticed This?

In case you haven’t heard me mention the first 10,000 times I’ve said it, I love working out in the great outdoors.  And barring ungodly weather (over 95 degrees or under 25 degrees) I try to get out consistently.

I know many of you exercise outdoors as well.  And those of you who don’t, I know you have seen many people workout outside.  Enough probably, that you can probably relate to an observation I’ve made. 

Perhaps you’ve even made the same observation:

With almost no exceptions, people who work out outside – people you see at the track, park, jogging roadside, etc. - fall into one of two categories:

1. The minority, who move quickly and are fit and lean.

2. The overwhelming majority who move slowly and are unfit.

And here’s the important lesson for all of us to learn today, my fellow connoisseurs of all things fit and lean:

People who are lean, are lean because they move fast.  They are NOT moving fast because they are lean.

People who move slowly are unfit because they move slowly.  They are not moving slowly because they are unfit.

I cannot be clearer about the sequence of causation here:  If you move slowly, you will never become lean and fit.

Yes, I understand that moving fast is a relative term.  I know you will never be Usain Bolt.  But you can move faster than you do now.  You can push the pace a little.  You can make it so you get short of breath and have to stop to take a break.  Then you can repeat that process.

THAT is what gets your metabolism up, and THAT is what helps you get fit and lean.

Moving slowly only reinforces an already slow metabolism.  Moving slowly ensures time is being wasted at the least, joint issues from the repetitive motion at the worst.

Push the pace a little.  Get out of breath.  Keep it short and sweet, but breathtaking (literally).

That’s what the lean and fit do to get leaner and fitter.


Any questions, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment