Saturday, September 14, 2013

Yes, I can beat you up...

Sure I can beat you up.

I get that request often, actually.

“I need you to kick my butt!”

“I need to take it up a notch…”

“I need to get in there and get a sweat going…”

The words are different, but the message is all the same:

“Jon, I want to come to your facility, and with your help, I want to beat the crap out of myself because I think that’s going to make me lean, fit, and healthy.”

Of course those words aren’t used, but at the heart of the matter, that is what people are actually saying to me.  Yes, for years now…

This is somewhat silly on several levels.  I’m not sure why you need to pay someone to just beat you down with workouts.  And even if you did, you can go to the 20 something at Retro Fitness who thinks flipping tires is cool, and just finished his weekend certification.  He’d love to beat the crap out of you, and he’s probably cheaper than me. 

Of course the damage that he does to your joints will negate the savings as you’ll have to pass them along to your chiropractor, orthopedist, and physical therapist.

I had a guy say to me once that he needed to get in better shape before he signed up with me.

That was about six years ago and I’m still waiting to hear something dumber, but I haven’t yet.

In fact, as I recently responded to an email with similar requests, I’ve heard different versions of the same request thousands of times in my career, and here’s the bottom line:

When someone says they need things like "my butt kicked", "kick it up a notch", etc. in my experience THEY ARE WRONG 100% OF THE TIME.  Invariably, the person actually needs to take it down a notch and check their form, posture and movement.  Laziness or lack of intensity aren't the issues in cases like these - moving incorrectly is.  And unless you're training with a qualified trainer, you're probably unaware of the issues. 

Continuing to push - or push harder as most people suggest when they say things like this - is the same as stepping on the gas pedal harder when your car's alignment is off.  You're not getting there any faster and you're breaking down and wasting energy as you do it.

Except you’re not a car.  When you push harder in your workouts when your knees, back and shoulders are in the wrong position, your breakdown is different:

Knee injury.

Low back pain.

And even if you are lucky enough to avoid joint pain and injury, if you are moving incorrectly you’re wasting energy.  You will run out of gas and have to stop your workout before the person next to you who is paying attention to details, does.

Who do you think is more likely to burn fat, stay strong and stick to their program?

And who do you think is going to always be going to the chiropractor, orthopedist, physical therapist, etc.?

Go to a facility that screens and evaluates movement regularly.  If you’re not close to us, let me know I’ll recommend one.  It's why places like ours get results for our members and the 20 somethings with the weekend certifications who just beat the crap out of their clients don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment