Friday, September 6, 2013

I'm Not Anti-Crossfit

Seriously, I’m not.

It’s more that I am in favor of other things:

1. I am in favor of having a systematic plan and program to follow.

I’ve yet to meet anyone anywhere who disagrees with me on this point.  If you do, please stand up.  It’s pretty much universally agreed that having a goal, then setting a plan and program to go about getting it is superior to just winging it with a mixed bag of exercises. Performing indiscriminate workouts is unlikely to get you to your goal.  Randomness and varied "workouts of the day" with mixed training modalities is NOT the best way to get a lean, strong physique.

2. I am in favor of focusing on the quality of work instead of the quantity. 

Again I’ve yet to meet anyone who disagrees with me on this.  If you know me you probably know I live with a high school math teacher.  I usually use her situation to make an analogy here:

If she had a student who bragged about doing 72 algebra problems in under 3 minutes, we all would probably have the same reaction: there’s a pretty good chance a lot of those problems were done incorrectly, meaning the student probably wasted his/her time.  The reason the student would do that is certainly ego driven in some way as we all know doing math in that manner certainly won’t make he or she better at math.  Should the student try to move on to trigonometry there surely will be a problem and he or she would probably fail that class, assuming he or she passed algebra in the first place.

The same rationale holds true for exercise: doing 264 barbell snatches and 82 pullups in a short period of time only assures you’re doing some pretty crappy snatches and pullups.  You’re certainly not going to get stronger, and you certainly will never be able to move on to more advanced stuff.  If you try to progress, you'll probably fail just like the dunce in the aforementioned math class.    Except in this case it’s more likely you’ll be injured.  Performing workouts and exercises while focusing on quality of movement and exercise is what yields progress.

I’m not anti “crossfit”.  I’m anti random workouts like “workout of the day!”, and I’m anti picking an arbitrary number to measure success as opposed to exercise quality.

Having a plan and a program is better than doing random workouts.

Doing high quality work is better than doing high quantity work.

If you need help with those two things, you know where to find us.

No comments:

Post a Comment