Sunday, February 22, 2015

"Research suggests..." Whatever...

Let me preface what I’m about to write with the following statement:

I am NOT anti-research.  Research certainly has its place. 

But…

Practitioners drive research.  Not the other way around.”  (A great trainer said that to me once.)

There is what you know, and there is what you can implement.”  (A different great trainer said that to me a different time. J)

And in my decade and a half in the business of getting people healthy, lean and strong, I can tell you unequivocally that both of those statements are true.

So even though I’m not “anti-research”, I do urge you to take everything that begins with “Research suggests…” with a grain of salt.

The experience of a long time, successful practitioner, is a FAR more reliable source of information than the research you will see in the news, online, etc.  This experienced practitioner is a person who has tried all of the theories, with real people under real circumstances, as opposed to people who are sequestered from their real life for the period of weeks to be studied.  (Here’s some inside information for you:  ANYONE can lose weight when they’re taken out of their environment as occurs on TV and in some research studies.  The real question should be can they lose body fat while living in their homes, going to work, having social lives, etc.)

Practitioners deal with the latter every day.  He/she can tell you if something will work in your case or not, because of the variables mentioned above and others.  He/she can tell you that the “research” may make sense on the surface, but with anything more than a cursory glance, will reveal itself as non-applicable.  Typically, the research may have left some very important, pertinent information out.

You may be wondering what got me off on this rant…J  As usual, no single thing – just a buildup of reading “Research says this…”  and “Research says that…” crap that I decided I needed to clarify things for the public.  Consider it another one of my fitness Public Service Announcements.  Although, I did see an article recently that pushed me over the edge – more on that below.

Because, as you know, I am not funded by a third party to do research.  I am funded by people like you, who know I’ve been doing this a long time, and know I know how to get results.  Incidentally, in almost all cases, the people paying for the studies have a financial interest in the outcome of the study.  Yet another reason to be mistrustful of research…

Nor am I spending my career in a lab or controlled environment.  I work with people like just like you.  People who...
  • can’t just simply go away for 6 weeks to a military camp or “The Biggest Loser”.   
  • live with spouses and children who may not want to eat healthy the same way they do.
  • don’t want to live like a monk.  They want to have social lives with friends and family and not have to overthink their eating habits when with their friends and family. 
  • can’t quit their jobs, that although provide a living, cause health problems due to the sedentary nature and stressful environment.

The Trainers at the Training Rim work with these people every day.  I’ve been doing it regularly since last century.

So when you see a research study that suggests something, take it with a grain of salt.  But if you’re serious about knowing whether or not the results can help you – ask an experienced practitioner.  (And no, your neighbor’s wife who has a niece who is a part time yoga instructor is NOT an experienced practitioner.  No, your kids JV football coach who has the keys to the school weight room, is NOT an experienced practitioner.)  An experienced practitioner can tell you if the information can help you or not – and why.

Next time, I'll link the article that preciptitated this rant...sorry, "blog".  Stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment