Friday, October 8, 2010

Cursing, Hard Work and Lessons Learned:

I’ve noticed a few things lately:

One: I’ve been called a lot of names lately. I know what you’re thinking: that’s not unusual. I get called names all the time. But this time it’s different. The source is different at least, if not the names themselves.

I’m not getting called names from the dude who played football 15 years ago and went on the internet for 10 minutes and decided that I was completely wrong on my take on stretching.

Nor are these name calling sessions from the “trainers” who quote verbose, esoteric research studies done God knows where by God knows who (probably another self proclaimed expert who also has never actually trained someone) to tell me I’m wrong. You know, some nerd in Denmark says electro-magnetic testing done on hamsters’ quadriceps after they do long distance cardio does, in fact reap benefits. Therefore, the information I’ve gathered from my gazillion sessions performed on real people is irrelevant.

No, lately I’ve been getting called pretty nasty names by my clients. Most of it unprintable. And if you know me, if I say it’s unprintable, you KNOW it’s unprintable.

Two: My clients have said quite often lately “Wow, you are in a BAD mood when you work out.”

I have indeed been trying to work out more consistently and with more intensity lately. When you operate a training business, you are always the last one that gets to workout, which has caused me to skip many workouts. (Similar to how you’re the last one to get paid, but that’s a different article.) So lately I’ve been more adamant about getting my workouts in and making sure they are worth the effort. I.e., I’ve been pushing myself. A few times, my clients have arrived mid Jon work out and asked a seemingly innocuous question just to have me bark at them with my “get away from me!” look on my face.

Three: It takes a long time for me to have the light bulb go on over my head sometimes. Because it occurred to me, after putting one and two together, that we are doing things right at The Training Rim.

I heard the voice of uber strength and conditioning coach Mike Boyle in my head (yes again). Paraphrasing him, if you are a healthy individual, conditioning sessions should be absolutely miserable. If your workout is enjoyable, it’s a safe assumption your workout is a waste of time. And as usual, he’s 100% right.

Lately, my clients have been cursing me out because their conditioning sessions have been rather unpleasant. I’ve been yelling back during my workouts because it sucks moving over 4,000 pounds of weight in less than 10 minutes. Aggravating that situation is either an annoying “beep!” or voice form the workout muse telling me to get back to work, which will make you want to pull the speakers out of the walls. (I still insist my recent troubles with my GymBoss timer are the result of a client’s subterfuge.) And it definitely sucks hearing my voice while you’re going through this too. Here’s a typical conversation at the TR:

Client: “This sucks.”
Jon: “Mmm, hmmm.”
Client: “No really – this sucks you little #%&@#$!!*”
Jon: “Go to Retread Fitness and walk on a treadmill while holding on to the handrail, after you get off the outer thigh machine if you don’t like what we’re doing here.”
Client: “F&*^%$ you, you $@#%^&**!@!”

Writing it brings a tear to my eye.

So here’s today’s lesson kids: Assuming you’re healthy and practicing safety measures, you are SUPPOSED TO BE miserable during a conditioning session. And yes, feel free to let your anger flag fly. At least you know you’re getting something out of the misery - can’t say that about the outer thigh machine.

Here’s figure competitor Lori Siriani using the training ropes. This picture was taken just before she started throwing F bombs around the facility. Love how the arms are a blur!


No comments:

Post a Comment