Wednesday, December 30, 2009

YOUR 2010 resolutions:

I just recently had an epiphany when thinking about two different topics for my blog when I realized that they were actually intertwined and should be tied together to facilitate your exercise and fitness programs!

First, people always ask me what they should be doing with their exercise programs. Almost always, I end up telling them to stop doing whatever it is they’re doing 1st, then we’ll talk about what they need to do. Remove the time and energy wasters, THEN worry about adding on. If you continue to do the things that aren’t working (and obviously, they aren’t working or you wouldn’t be asking me for my advice) you’ll still be wasting time and spinning your wheels no matter what else you start doing that’s new.

Secondly, I noticed that a) most people make resolutions that they never stick to, and b) these resolutions are all things they are going to “do”.

So I took these two observations and combined them into a list of New Year’s resolutions for you:

Here are the top 10 things you need to STOP doing in ’10 to fully achieve your exercise goals, and start to look and feel like the clients at The Training Rim! (If you already are a client – pass these along to your friend who still goes to mega box gym and doesn’t know any better!)

In 2010, you resolve to:

1. Stop doing cardio.

Seriously, enough already. It doesn’t reduce body fat and it doesn’t make you healthy. In fact, it’s going to hurt you. If that’s your thing, great, godspeed to you. But if you’re doing it because you think it’s good for you, for the love of God please stop.

2. Stop stretching your spine.

Flexing, extending and rotating the spine will injure you, period. There isn’t a respected spinal researcher in the world who will tell you differently. Your back doesn’t need to be stretched, twisted or strengthened – it needs to STOP MOVING. Go work on your hip mobility, please. Your back will thank you.

3. Stop thinking the biggest loser is real.

It’s enjoyable TV, nothing more. No, you shouldn’t be doing ANYTHING they do on the show. They do what they do to get you to watch – NOT to get people healthy.

4. Stop thinking the PX90 or any other flavor of the week is anything but a sales gimmick.

How many infomercial fads have to come and go before you realize there really isn’t some new secret gimmick or tool to buy to help you. C’mon, now…

5. Stop thinking you know what you’re doing.

I’ve been a trainer for 10 years, exercising for 20. I have a Masters Degree in Exercise Science. I learn something new every day in regards to human movement. Things I did a few years ago, I don’t do anymore because now I know better. Do you know what all this means? You will never – repeat NEVER – have it down, know what you’re doing, etc. You may know more than you used to know, but you still have a long way to go. We ALL do.

6. Stop telling yourself “carbs” are bad.

Your body needs carbohydrates. One of our trainers, Dina is a vegetarian, so by definition 100% of what she eats are “carbs”. Dina has less body fat than an aluminum pole. End of discussion.

7. Stop expecting results when you barely ever exercise.

My next blog is on this topic, so more to come. Short version: If you don’t plan on consistently exercising for a long period of time, you will NEVER get results.

8. Stop thinking you don’t need a trainer.

I need a trainer. I jump into our small group sessions all the time and I’m amazed by how better and more efficiently I perform when I’m guided by a knowledgeable professional.

9. Stop doing crunches and sit ups.

Revisit #2. Your abdominal muscles ARE NOT DESIGNED TO MOVE YOUR SPINE – they are designed to hold your spine still. Then on top of that, you’re not burning any calories and you’re more likely to add muscle, and therefore adding size to your mid section. No, crunches are not “core work” – they are stupid.

10. Sitting on machines.

My God, seriously, GET UP! Who ever came up with the idea that sitting on a machine or bench is a better choice than supporting your own body weight? I just came from a big box mega gym and I counted 77 people working out. ONE – yes, ONE - person was not on a piece of equipment, bench, cardio machine, etc. She was working out ON HER FEET with some dumbbells and body weight exercises. Guess who had the best body in the gym?

Don’t hesitate to email me if I forgot one: thetrainingrim@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment